Friday, 26 August 2011

Can you still feel the butterflies?

Jimmy Eat World are one of those live bands who are just absolutely perfect. On top of having written some of my most favourite songs of all time, they execute these fantastically energetic gigs that everyone from those jumping around in the pit to those nodding along at the back of the hall leave completely buzzing with happiness from hearing their music. Or at least that's how it looks to me. 


I know I've written about them before, but they're just the kind of band that you want to tell people about.


I'm always really surprised when someone hasn't heard of them, or even heard of any of their more popular songs. They're one of the few bands that I can listen to their songs at any time at all, and over and over again. 


Cheers for the photo-bomb security man.


Tonight's gig was no different from their usual greatness. They opened with the newer releases of My Best Theory and Coffee and Cigarettes (my personal favourite from their latest album) and blew the place away with hits from Bleed American and fan favourites from Clarity. The slightly predictable but nonetheless exciting encore was made up of Invented, The Middle, and Sweetness.


As for the venue, it was a first for me, Corn Exchange in Edinburgh as part of the Edinburgh Festival. It's easy enough to get to (pretty much a straight line from the train station, lots of buses to it to!). It reminded me a lot of Barrowlands, maybe slightly bigger. The atmosphere was quite different from a Glasgow gig too, we were at the barrier and didn't experience any pushing at all, which was odd but quite refreshing. 


Support tonight was actually also worth noting. It came from a band who hail from Edinburgh themselves - We Were Promised Jetpacks.


The few notes wafting out as I was having my bag searched had me intrigued and they did not disappoint. Some heavy bass-ey riffs and a singer with a wicked set of lungs. I can't speak for any of their studio work having not listened to it yet but after tonight's performance I'll be getting it straight on the download, and in the meantime... well I've been listening to the Jimmy discography from the moment I stepped in the door.


There's a cinematic end.





No comments:

Post a Comment