Sunday, 12 December 2010

It's the most wonderful time of the year.

It's easy to see why Dickens' works are considered classics.

It's difficult to explain just how amazing his writing is. I mean, take something like Harry Potter, for example, or even Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland: little stories, decent writing, imaginative...  Dickens, however. What's the best way to explain this?...

I suppose, I think it's funny to think that other authors write in the same language as he does, because he just uses words so much better. They have the same choice of words that he does, they're utilising the same language, same vocabularies, but somehow, Charles Dickens just creates sentences that set off so many sparks in your head that you need to read them over and over, not because you don't understand it, but because the combination of words is so brilliant and you need to feed it to your brain all over again.

If you've never read any classics then A Christmas Carol is a brilliant place to start. It's a little book, it's a story that most people know (however knowing the story doesn't make the writing predictable), and the writing is just so good from the very start that it draws you in and you can't help loving it.

It was quite funny because I got about two thirds of the way through the book and turned to my mum and asked her if she'd read it, and told her that she absolutely had to read it when she answered that she hadn't already.

Then when she was a few pages in she told my dad that he had to read it too. So the three of us sat in the living room, drinking tea, beer and strawberry cider, all reading A Christmas Carol. Me on my laptop, my mum on her Kindle and my dad on his phone. I find it funny that three people can sit in a room reading the same book and none of them are reading a book. I need to tell my brother to read it, I think he'd appreciate it.


Oh, and that was 18 out of 100.

No comments:

Post a Comment