Thursday, 16 December 2010

I miss bookstores

I was in Waterstone's on Monday, I think it's the first time I've been in since last time I went Christmas shopping, it makes me miss just being around books and having time to read whatever I want at my leisure.

Every shelf I looked at I saw books on the 100 list (it's haunting meeee!), and I just wanted to sit there and read them all. Well, I wanted to sit because my lungs were angry at me for taking them out when it was so, so cold, I felt like such a wee old dear, sitting there with my book just looking around the room catching what little breath I had. But it was nice just to stare at books that I don't have to study. I saw Jack Kerouac to my right, Joseph Heller over my left shoulder, and Harper Lee out the bottom corner of my eye. I passed a table that Jane Austen, Charles Dickens and Rudyard Kipling were sitting on and I wandered up and down til I bumped into Oscar Wilde.

It was quite funny cause as I was walking out along the ground floor I passed all these people rummaging through the bestseller tables and one woman showed another a book and was like "You know if this is any good?!" and the other turned round and went "How am I supposed to know! You know I don't read!"

I also found the size of the queue on the ground floor quite funny given that it was so quiet upstairs, and I got to take as long as I wanted to be served by the handsome cashier when I was buying my Christmas presents.

No comments:

Post a Comment