Sunday, 5 December 2010

The 100 Books Challenge

So I've decided I'm definitely going to read everything on The Guardian's list of "100 Books You Can't Live Without".

I have no idea how long this will take, I think a year's too short but I'm just going to start and see how long it takes given that most of these are full blown masterpieces AND the list includes things like 'The Bible' and 'The Complete Works of William Shakespeare', which I wouldn't even consider books, I mean they're libraries of works in themselves! I think once I get fired in I'll be able to judge the time better. I could probably fly through them but I don't want to speed-read them, I genuinely want to be able to say I've (hopefully) enjoyed all these books, not just skimmed them.

I know there'll be a bunch of books on it that I wouldn't touch with a barge pole (The Da Vinci Code, Bridget Jones' Diary) but that'll just be part of the challenge I guess! Every book I read will get some semblance of a review on here, if not, just a brief yay or nay depending on how it went down. 
I'll be on the look out for loans of them, a few are free on Kindle and a lot are quite cheap on there too. I've got the Kindle for Android app on my phone and the Kindle for PC app so I can read on there, but obviously it would be good to get a loan of the actual copies.

The next book on the list that I've started reading is Crime And Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, which is number 27 and is free on Kindle! Hooray!


The 100 Books are HERE.


Anyone care to join me?


No comments:

Post a Comment