Tuesday, 30 November 2010

Only one word comes to mind.

I was going to say “I was lucky enough to get tickets...” but really, I got up at ridiculous o’clock and sat on my laptop for two and a half hours to get tickets... to Biffy Clyro!


They played on Friday 26th and Saturday 27th in the S.E.C.C. in Glasgow which is renowned for its echoey soullessness but actually, the whole show was put on with the air of a stadium gig, and the band pulled this off magnificently. There were whispers of the crowd being poor but from where I stood we did not fail, yes there were people there who’d not heard anything before the most recent album but hell, what are gigs for – if not to see music against its greatest background and give you that insane thirst for more of it?

They played against one of the most elaborate sets I’ve ever seen from them, deep red curtains, spotlights galore, walkway into the middle of the crowd, two big screens either side of the stage with sharp video footage of the performance itself.


About a third of the way in Simon Neil (guitarist/singer/frontman) played a mini acoustic set surrounded by a pretty circle of lightbulbs that descended from the ceiling and was then joined by James and Ben Johnston (bassist and drummer, respectively) for a song called Diary of Always, which I’ve never (in the 8 other times I’ve seen them play) seen them play live. Did it make my night? Hell to the yeah.



They then belted out the rest of their set, satisfied the shouts of “Jaggy Snake” with the wild fan favourite and finished with a multiple song encore. And to top it all off, the sweaty mass of fans were met with the beginnings of a blizzard of snow as we left. Beautiful.


No comments:

Post a Comment